Philippians 4:6-7 (msg)

Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life. Philippians 4:6-7 (msg)

Friday, January 27, 2012

Yet another God-incidence...

Since getting the word that we were heading back to Houston next week I have been trying to rearrange appointments and make sure the house is in good enough order that mom and Nanny Starr can jump in to take over for the kids.  

I had my 16 week OB appointment scheduled for next week so I wanted to reschedule before we left...a little peace of mind getting to hear Lil Bit's heartbeat and of course the other blood work that was supposed to be done at the 16 week appointment.  When I called yesterday to reschedule I told the lady on the phone, "I don't care which location, which doctor or midwife, I just would like to get in Friday or Monday."  She put me hold for a moment.

When she came back she let me know that there was an available appointment Friday morning at 9:10.  "Great!" I said, "I'll take it!"  She told me which location and which doctor AFTER I had accepted that appointment time...here's the God-incidence...

Tuesday evening January 17 a doctor from my OB/GYN practice, whom I had never met, called me around 8:30 pm AT HOME.  I had called the office earlier in the day to speak with the doctor I had been seeing to try and get a referral to MD Anderson.  She called her colleague and gave him our story.  She had done this because he did a fellowship out at MD Anderson and she felt he would know best who to contact.  When he called he had already spoken with his contacts at MD Anderson and told me they were expecting my call the following morning.  Guess which doctor I just "so happened" to get an appointment with?  Yep...the one that made it possible for us to get into MD Anderson so quickly!

As soon as the lady on the phone said his name...I started crying.  I knew immediately that God was in control of this situation.  This was NOT  a coincidence but a God-incidence....kind of gives me chills to think about it...

As soon as he walked into the exam room I said. "This might be totally inappropriate, but do you mind if I give you a hug?"  He said not at all and gave me the biggest hug.  This was a man that went totally above and beyond to help me, a patient he had never met.  In fact, the whole practice has gone above and beyond to help us get connected to the right people and get my medical records to those places quickly.

The OB check up was great!  Lil Bit's heart rate was a healthy 147 bpm.  (My blood pressure was low - seems odd given the stress I've been under!) This doctor talked with me about what we could expect to happen WHEN the surgery goes as planned next Wednesday.  He explained that ideally he would like me to carry Lil Bit to 34 weeks but of course he wasn't worried if it is few weeks earlier since Northside Hospital has an outstanding NICU.  He walked me through who would be there for the delivery (lets just say an army of doctors), what I could expect for me and what to expect for baby.  The visit gave me even more PEACE about the health and well being of Lil Bit.  Again, just like Dr. Ramirez, he did caution that the amputation surgery is NOT the standard of care but since that is what Bill and I have decided is best for our family we now have a team of doctors in Houston and Atlanta consulting together to have a healthy mom and baby early this summer.

Jeremiah 32:27 "I am the LORD, the God of all mankind. Is anything too hard for me?"

3 comments:

  1. Hi Megan,
    I just wanted to tell you that my college roommate had a baby back in the '70s. Her little girl, Brooke, was 4 months early, weighed 1lb. She is now a happily married mother of two little boys. She is also a pharmacist! Miracles do happen!!
    Haven

    ReplyDelete