Philippians 4:6-7 (msg)

Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life. Philippians 4:6-7 (msg)

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Wait for it....

Mid morning yesterday I got a call from Houston.  I was so excited to see the caller id.  Well, it  wasn't what I was expecting.  A nice woman was asked to call me to inform me that the Tumor Board that was supposed to meet today was being postponed until next Thursday because of scheduling conflicts between the doctors.  She continued to say that Dr. Ramirez would not be able to give me any recommendation for treatment until that board met.  FRUSTRATED.  Another week?  It seems it has been months since I got the diagnosis but looking back at the calendar it has only been two and a half weeks.


I decided to send Dr. Ramirez an email.  I explained that I was concerned because all the doctors we saw here in Atlanta had a real sense of urgency in terms of starting treatment.  Waiting another week was concerning to me.  I worked for probably 45 minutes trying to draft an email that didn't sound pushy, obsessive or rude.  Still not sure if I achieved those things, but the email is sent and now forever part of my medical records!


Phone calls and emails finished for the morning so I was off to get Miss Caroline from school.  More discussions with teachers at her school - more tears.  Driving home my cell phone rings - its Houston!  I answered the phone and Dr. Ramirez was on the other end.  I was in my car so I didn't have my notebook with all the questions I had for him and I wasn't expecting a call - I was just listening.  He very factually starts to give me the results of the biopsy and MRI. 


"The biopsy confirms a malignancy," he says.  "The MRI shows the tumor at its largest is 3.8 cm.  We can do the amputation of the cervix if that is how you want to proceed."  Just as a little back story here - the radiologist here in Atlanta, from the same MRI, said the tumor was 5.5 cm at its largest.  My explanation for the difference...MIRACLE!


That is the answer we wanted, the answer I have prayed earnestly for.  This is the only way that we can try to protect Little Bit and me!  He is willing to do it!!!  The only question I could ask is the prognosis if we do this.  "This is not the standard of care, the standard of care is to end the pregnancy and treat you immediately."  I know this but don't want to hear it again.  He continues, "I have treated five cases similar to this and in all 5 mom and baby are healthy."  Great news right?  Then he cautions....5 cases is NOT enough scientific/medical evidence to change the standard of care.  There simply is not enough medical data available to adequately put a numerical risk percentage on this procedure.  During the amputation they will also remove my pelvic lymph nodes for biopsy.  If there is any evidence of lymph node involvement - we are back to square one and really no option but to lose Little Bit.  Still so many "what ifs and if/thens."


So, here were are again...cautiously optimistic.  I have even begun thinking of names for our Little Bit - not too much yet - but at least at this point I think a fantastic middle name if she is a princess is Hope (that choice is obvious!) and if he is a prince I think David (a fighter of giants) is very fitting.  As much as I want to plan for the future with 4 healthy children I also know that I have to first live in the present and make sure that I am hopeful yet realistic about all that lies ahead.


When Bill and I left Houston last Friday we were discussing the possible options and how we would choose to proceed with each.  We decided that God had made a way, opened this huge gate (not even a door to me anymore) to go to MD Anderson.  We both felt that if I were a candidate for this surgery this was God's way of showing us clearly what steps to take.  And if Dr. Ramirez came back and said it just wasn't possible then we would have to accept that we would lose this baby.  Well, again we got the answer we both had prayed for - but now for the first time I am scared.  Scared.


I have always considered myself to be a devout Christian but I have truly never had to BE devout.  I have been blessed beyond measure, I won't say that things in life have always come easy to me, I have had to work for things I've wanted.  But I also have never truly and wholeheartedly had to TRUST God with my literal LIFE.  That's were I stand now - we have to trust Him.  Proverbs 3:5 - "Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.  In all thy way acknowledge Him and He shall direct they paths."  God has been our tour guide thus far - may Bill and I find the courage to keep following!










Forgot to add: We are tentatively scheduled to have this amputation surgery in Houston next Wednesday.  Once confirmed I will let everyone know times so that I can give all those praying for us more specific guidance in terms of prayer.  Thanks so much for the emails, meals, play dates, messages, cards, texts and phone calls - each one is so precious to us!

10 comments:

  1. Psalm 118:28 You are my God, and I will give you thanks; you are my God, and I will exalt you.

    Praise God!! So happy for you, Bill, and Little Bit! :)

    We will start praying about the surgery next week right now!


    One more verse-
    2 Timothy 1:7
    God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind

    Don't be afraid! God is in control and He is guiding your footsteps!

    Praying and believing with you,
    Aundrea

    One more verse for you-
    2 Timothy 1:7
    God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and of a sound mind.

    Don't be afraid! God is on control and is guiding your footsteps!

    Praying and believing with you,
    Aundrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I didn't think it saved the last part so I typed it again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenn is my friend from old IBM days, and that is how I came to know about you. I pray that God will sustain your hope and your courage through all the coming days.
    A little more than a year ago I faced scary surgery. I remember so well the last few minutes before they took me to the ER. My husband and I prayed in that quiet, private time. We had accepted the risks, because we knew that the risk of doing nothing was so much greater. We prayed for the surgeon and the team and for God's will in the outcome. Then we stood and blessed each other, knowing that the outcome was up to God. I guess it is a Lutheran thing. The memory of this blessing is very precious to me now. I give this blessing to you.
    The Lord bless you and keep you. The Lord make his face to shine on you and be gracious to you.
    The Lord look upon you with favor and give you peace.
    In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit
    May God go with you through these days.
    Katherine Harms

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yesterday I learned that my childhood pastor (Mrs. Ragon's (from Ridgeland) husband has prostate cancer and needs a 5 bypass heart surgery. He is the most Godly, loving man I have ever known. I know no one is perfect but in my eyes he is as close as you can get. His daughter said as they prayed he simply said " I trust you Lord". When I read this yesterday I immediately thought of you. I have to be honest, I have only prayed my heart out a few times in my life. Once was for me. Once was for a friend that I was afraid for her safety. The other is for you. It shook me to my core and made me realize how much we have to trust Him and just how important that is. I know he will use this in a mighty way. I love you and I hope and pray and believe for you all day, every day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mirror mirror on the wall......who is the sweetest of them all.....in it you must see your own image and in your words I go back to what my mother's thoughts must have been when she was pregnant and diagnosed with cancer. Our "little bit" is here with us over 40 years later, beautiful and healthy, and I have always believed if mom's story was being lived today she would be too...I truly believe your strength and will and love for your famly will give you the fight you need and we are all here to give you the love and prayers you need. The tremendous advances in medicine will do the rest. I hurt for Billy as he looks at you.....the love of his life.....so we will pray for his strength too......Draw from us the support we are ready to give.

    Love you,
    The Fricks Family
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. my prayers are with you and your lovely family. please know that there are a lot of us out here that you don't know personally, but we, too are praying and pulling for you and Lil Bit. God bless and keep you safe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Meg ... I continue to pray for you and your entire family. I know you already had a strong faith, but through this journey, it has gotten - and will continue to grow stronger. By sharing this blog you are helping yourself, but you may never know how your faith will be a witness and inspiration to others ... Even when you are down or frustrated.
    I'm proud of you for that.
    Blessings, love, peace, and prayers ...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan,
    Tears came to me as I read your blog. I know how you feel about trusting God. I have always grew up in church, but until the last few years I have learned to trust him wholeheartedly. At times I have questioned him why my babies, and then he tells me trust him. I am still trusting each day that he knew all along this would happen. I have been so upset about you since I heard about your cancer. Please know that you can call for anything. We can cry and pray together. Love, Dawn McElhaney

    ReplyDelete
  9. Megan,
    You have been in my heart and mind since I heard about your cancer. I continue to lift you and your family up in prayer.
    You have been such a witness to so many since this journey began. Trust God and He will carry you thru. I remember when our son had open heart surgery as a baby at Vanderbilt. We had so many people praying and this got us thru and brought Andy safely thru surgery.
    There is hope in the Lord...Lam. 3:21-27.
    Cathy Hays

    ReplyDelete