Philippians 4:6-7 (msg)

Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life. Philippians 4:6-7 (msg)

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tomorrow's the day...

Our first appointment at MDA was at 8 am this morning and we finished seeing people around 3 pm.  Needless to say a very busy day.  I am exhausted, not so sure it is purely physical exhaustion, or what is making me feel this way.  Of course it could be the pregnancy, the cancer, the eight tubes of blood taken today, the stress - most likely a combination of all of these.


One difficult part of this - besides the exhaustion - I feel great!  At times it just doesn't make sense to me that I could really have this disease.  Well, look at me, this is what cancer looks like...scary because I don't look any different than the rest of the world...


Back to our day.  Anesthesiologist appointment went well no real concerns (besides this whole cancer thing I am pretty darn healthy!).  EKG showed I have a heart that works and then off to have blood drawn.  From there we meet with an RN who is MDA's liaison for pregnant patients.  She consults with all pregnant patients that enter MDA.  The nurse doing my EKG said that they see about 140 patients a day - do you know how many patients the pregnant with cancer RN sees? Only about 20 patients a year!  So of course I asked how many with cervical cancer.  She said not very many...about half of her patients have breast cancer.  So again, here we are, unchartered territory.  Most pregnant women with cervical cancer are not given much of an option in terms of treatment - all are encouraged (before 20ish weeks) to terminate the pregnancy.  She was very supportive and encouraged me to reach out to other women that are survivors in similar circumstances - I will, just not ready for that quite yet.


The end result of this meeting was agreeing to be part of a registry that will help treat these kinds of cases in the future.  Our next meeting was with another RN to invite us to be a part of another research study based on our case.  I joined another registry a week of so ago out of New Jersey with Cooper University Hospital.  Following that we were asked to participate in yet another study.  The science geek in me finds this all pretty cool...and shows me another purpose for this journey.


Finally to end our day we got to meet with Dr. Ramirez and one of the MDA Fellows.  This was the part of the day when the gravity of my situation hit me.  I've know this was serious from the beginning but I was so focused on developing a game plan for treatment that I guess I just didn't allow myself to think about the actual physical part of this surgery.  The meeting centered around all the consent forms and potential risks involved in tomorrow's surgery.  The surgery itself will take 3-4 hours and will be done completely robotically.  We check in tomorrow morning at 6 am CT.


I am confident that Bill and I have followed the path that God set before us and that we are making the right decision for my treatment.  There are still, medically, so many uncertainties associated with this procedure tomorrow for both Lil Bit and me.  I do know that with God there are no uncertainties.  



Our sermon at FBCA this Sunday was out of James (I believe Pastor Walker may have been given this word by God specifically for Bill and I to hear).  Also, several friends have sent this very scripture to me for encouragement today:


James 1:2-4Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.
 5-8If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. He loves to help. You'll get his help, and won't be condescended to when you ask for it. Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought. People who "worry their prayers" are like wind-whipped waves. Don't think you're going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open.


Oh Dear Jesus, I come to you tonight earnestly asking you to protect Lil Bit and myself.  I ask boldly and believingly!!!

8 comments:

  1. I'm in the Faith Journey class at FBCA. Praying for you and Little Bit this morning, and for your whole family. Pat Minor

    ReplyDelete
  2. praying Megan and believing with you that God will protect you and Little Bit!!! There are soooo many praying for you Megan!! Can't wait to hear an update later today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Megan -
    I am praying for you and your family today from Zachary, LA! I am praying for the doctors and nurses and most importantly that little baby! May our wonderful Creator be with you today and have His hand on everything.
    In Christ -
    Amanda Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Megan,
    I am a friend of Melissa Orum. She passed on your story to our church couples class to request prayers. I have since passed on your story to my family's prayer group, other friends prayer groups. In a matter of a week you had hundreds of prayer warriors sending prayers to our Heavenly Father above to keep you safe in this what must be a very surreal time for you and your family. You are in surgery as I write this so you have been on my mind since I woke this moring. I am praying for you and your baby, your medical team, your family! God Bless you, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Megan,
    You, Lil bit and Bill are in our prayers. Praying our Lord wraps his loving arms around you and your beautiful family and holds you tight
    "The Cross will not crush you if it's weight makes you stagger, it's power will also sustain you"-St. Pedre Pio
    Trust In Jesus,
    Paul & Maggie Assenmacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this blog post at exactly 6:00 a.m. yesterday morning which was a God-encounter. Immediately I started praying for you, for Little Bit, for Bill, for the doctors, nurses and your family!

    I am believing God to do great things in you and through you during this season! I am believing Him for healing, provision and restoration! I am believing Him to do more than you could ever imagine or think!!!

    He is faithful!

    Mendi

    ReplyDelete
  7. DEAR MEGAN, I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOU. I JUST READ THROUGH YOUR ENTIRE BLOG AND CAN'T HELP BUT THINK THAT YOU ARE FULL OF FAITH AND THE LORD MUST BE SO PLEASED AT YOUR TRUST AND FAITH. OUR FAMILY IS PRAYING FOR YOU, YOUR FAMILY AND LIL BIT. THE ENTIRE CHURCH IS TALKING ABOUT THE MIRACLE OF YOUR SURGERY AND REMOVAL OF THE CANCER AND THAT THE BABY IS HEALTHY AND STRONG. PRAISE THE LORD FOR THESE ANSWERED PRAYERS. THANK YOU FOR ALLOWING US TO LIFT YOU ALL UP IN PRAYER AND FOR SHOWING US GOD'S MIGHTY MIRACLE-WORKING POWER. YOU HAVE TRULY INSPIRED ME.
    JULIE MORTON

    ReplyDelete
  8. Megan,
    I found your blog thru Barry Cole in my Sunday school class. And all i can say is wow. I hope this will offer some comfort to you thru my wifes story. A sum up of it would be to tell you that we were told when she was pregnant with our first child to abort her as well due to they believed she had a hole in her heart and as well as one on her brain. And that surely she would not develop mentally. She is now 8 years old and is classified in the top 2 percent in the nation of being intellectully gifted. My wife has also just beaten cancer herself from what doctors had previously predicted she would not survive and now they are dumbfounded that she has come thru it. We are truly blessed for what God has brought us thru and our faith is stronger because of it. Keep the faith my sister. God will provide.

    ReplyDelete