Philippians 4:6-7 (msg)

Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life. Philippians 4:6-7 (msg)

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Only 26 weeks...too soon for a baby....

Well, our doctors have warned us all along that hospital bed rest would most likely be a part of our journey.  And here we are.  The evening of Monday April 9 I started cramping and thought about calling the doctor but then decided to try and sleep it off.  Tuesday morning when I woke up I was still cramping so I decided to call the doctor (around 7:30 am).  I knew it wasn't contractions after having 3 other children but considering where we've been the past few months I didn't want to miss anything.


Is it a good or bad sign when the doctor's answering service has your name flagged? When you actually have your doctor's cell phone numbers?  As soon as I gave her my name she said she would have someone call me immediately.  Less than three minutes later my doctor was calling.  He set up an appointment for me to come into the closest office at 8:45 am.  There he told me they would do a fetal fibronectin test and an ultrasound.  Nanny Starr was staying with us this week so she got the kids off to school and then me off to the doctor.


Fetal fibronectin (fFN) is something I have never heard of.  The test was a simple swab of my cervix.  The ultrasounds are old hat to us now.  The ultrasound didn't show any cervical shortening or funneling - great news.  They sent me home and said the results from the fFN would take a while and they would call with the results.  I went home and climbed in bed hoping the cramping would ease up if I rested and stayed off my feet.  About 2:00 that afternoon the OB office called to let me know that the fFN was positive and that I should head to the hospital.


While I was resting I did a little research on fFN just so I would know what the doctors were talking about.  This is a protein that "glues" Lil Bit to my uterus.  If it is negative then that is a pretty good indicator that labor is not coming, that he is still "glued" tight even with preterm symptoms.  If it is positive then there is a 51% chance labor will start within two weeks.  So while this test is not highly predictive on its own it is just another piece to the puzzle.


I started packing a bag and trying to think of all the things I might need.  It was very difficult to think about Lil Bit coming this early - I really didn't need anything for him other than the Cord Blood Collection Kit - if he came into the world now, we wouldn't be bringing him home until July as he would be in the NICU for months.  Then of course more worry...what are we going to do with the kids?  Walker had a baseball game that night (I know not that important in the grand scheme of things but to Walker would have been the end of the world if he had to miss it.)  I called Billy and told him he needed to meet us at the hospital.  Nanny Starr loaded us all up and we headed down 400 to Northside Hospital.  As soon as Billy got to the hospital Starr was off to the ball fields with the kids.


They got me into a Labor and Delivery room pretty quickly and started developing our plan to convince Lil Bit to hold off making an appearance.  They started me on IV fluids since dehydration can often lead to contractions/cramping.  They decided that two rounds of steroids would be appropriate since they would help decrease medical complications of for a preemie and put me on the monitor.  The monitor was not picking up any uterine contractions which was curious since I was still cramping.  The next thought was that I was fighting an infection (maybe from the surgery site or a UTI) that was causing the cramping so they started IV rocephine (a pretty heavy duty antibiotic).  


It is such a blessing to have other children in this situation to help divert some of the focus off what could be a very serious situation.  Billy asked the nurse (of course he asked if it was OK with me first) if she thought he had time to make it to Walker's game and then head back to the hospital.  She assured him that they were going to stop whatever was going on and he should go.  He returned after the game in time to talk with our OB and for a consult with the Neonatologist.  The OB told us that it would be best for me to stay at least until 28 weeks (April 23) and that they would reassess my cervix and fFN at that point and make a decision.  The Neonatologist was there to prepare us for what to expect if Lil Bit was born a 26 weeks...scary, scary statistics.   Brain bleeds, blind, deaf, respiratory issues, intestinal infections and of course death to name a few of the challenges.  He tells us that 85% of babies this early do live but of that 85% only about 1/3 have no long lasting medical complications.  Every day longer in the womb reduces the risk of complications but it seems 34 weeks is that "magic" time when the statistics really start to look best.


When Billy and I decided to try the radical trachelecotomy in February we knew the risk of a preterm delivery because of a shorten cervix.  It was a risk we were willing to take to save Lil Bit.  It still doesn't make it easier to hear...every parent wants the best for their child...no parent wants to think that a decision made in the best interest of their child might result in harm...


They kept me overnight in Labor and Delivery.  I stayed on the monitor all night while they pumped me full of IV fluids, steroids and antibiotics.  When my OB doctor came in the next morning he said, "we are in uncharted waters with you.  We are going to play this conservatively and keep you until 28 weeks."  That afternoon a room opened up on the High Risk Perinatal Floor (HRP).  Seems this will be my home for at least two weeks.


Again this verse, a promise from my God, has been great comfort.  God has been so good to us and continues to bless our family. 


“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”  Jeremiah 29:11(NIV)








1 comment:

  1. I have not been in your exact situation but I have had 3 of my 4 babies born at 35 weeks. 2 stayed in the NICU but all are healthy now. With my 8 month old I spent 4 days in the hospital due to preterm labor. I was 30 weeks and worried to death. I managed to hold on to Miss Rayleigh for 6 more weeks and she is perfect. I know my situation was not the same but I hope you can find encouragement. No matter what happens ill Bit will be perfect. If he does have some difficulties just realize that it is a blessing from God. Parents with children with difficulties are chosen by God for a reason. I will continue to pray for you guys. Also I have gone back to work now but will be glad to come help you on the weekends or just come keep you company. Love you lots.

    Wendy Kingsley Moore

    ReplyDelete